Meta's Culture Rising 2023 trends report highlights five key ways in which the world's values are shifting, providing insights for brands to adapt and thrive in the ever-evolving landscape of modern marketing. As people's priorities and expectations continue to change, employers and people operations teams need to be mindful of these shifts and adapt to meet the needs of their employees.
Comfort and Joy: The Rise of Hobbies
- A quarter of people surveyed globally have taken up a new hobby in the past six months, showing how hobbies and activities have become an integral part of people's lifestyles.
- Employers should encourage a healthy work-life balance that allows employees to pursue their hobbies and interests outside of work.
- Consider offering flexible schedules or remote work options to allow employees to devote more time to their hobbies.
Retrocore: Nostalgia is Back
- Nostalgia for the '80s, '90s, and '00s is becoming increasingly popular, with 2 in 5 Gen Zers surveyed expressing a fondness for '90s music and entertainment.
- Brands can tap into this trend by incorporating nostalgia into their marketing campaigns or products.
- Employers can leverage nostalgia to build a sense of community among employees by hosting retro-themed events or activities.
Allyship: Supporting Universal Causes
- People are championing universal causes like human rights, and driving change like never before.
- Brands should take a stand on important issues and demonstrate their support for universal causes to earn customers' loyalty.
- Employers can show support for universal causes by offering paid time off for activism, making charitable donations, or hosting events that promote social awareness and inclusivity.
Brand Friendship: Connecting with Customers
- People increasingly want brands to act like a best friend, understanding their values and showing that they are on the same wavelength.
- Brands can build stronger relationships with customers by creating authentic connections through social media engagement and personalized marketing.
- Employers can foster a sense of belonging and camaraderie by creating a strong employer brand that aligns with the values and interests of their employees.
Planetary Paradox: Environmental Consciousness
- The environment is becoming a more pressing concern for people as they experience personal consequences like higher heating bills and difficulty obtaining potable water.
- Brands should prioritize sustainable practices and communicate their commitment to the environment to appeal to socially conscious customers.
- Employers can encourage environmental consciousness among employees by implementing eco-friendly practices in the workplace and providing resources for employees to reduce their carbon footprint.
As values continue to shift, it's essential for brands to stay attuned to the needs and priorities of their customers and employees. By adapting to these trends, employers can create a more inclusive and engaging workplace culture that resonates with their employees and attracts top talent.